A Random Act of Kindness

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the post box and there was a parcel for ME. Now any parent knows that once the kids come along, there is never EVER anything in the post box for you, with our boys enjoying a steady supply of DVDs from their English Grandparents. But it was for me, and when I opened it, I found a beautiful card and pampering pack from my dear friend Saskia in Holland. It was so lovely, so thoughtful and so heartfelt that I burst into tears. My boys, who were still dealing with the disappointment of it not being a new DVD, looked at me like I was nuts, but then, what’s new!

Saskia basking in the late October sun in Holland after her 40th b'day bash
I immediately dropped a note to Sas to say thank you, trying to convey how much it meant to me, but I don’t think I did a good job in explaining the impact. To know that someone spent their time doing something for me, understanding that a little pick-me-up was in order, well it was just a really special thing.  Saskia is an incredibly thoughtful person – it’s a quality I love in her and she inspires me to be more – but I don’t think she knows how special that quality really is. Bless her.
But it also made me realise how often I think of the great people I’ve met in my life and how rarely I reach out and say hi – in whatever way is appropriate. Facebook has enabled me to get back in touch with so many wonderful people – which I am so thankful for because I know what is going on in friend’s lives to an extent - but I think I need to do more of the little important things. It doesn’t have to be much – a card with a funny memory, a photo of a time we smiled together, or buying a small gift that will make someone smile. I mean, let’s face it, there is no better feeling than being thought of, but equally, it also feels great to think of someone and honour them because they have meant something important to you.

So as the Christmas season takes the attention of many of my friends around the world, anyone want to think ahead and join me for a year of random acts of kindness? The rules are simple. Whenever you think of someone who’s been awesome in your life, send them something – anything – with the simple goal of showing them you were thinking of them. It will melt their hearts.
Anyone in?

With that, I want to wish my sister a very Happy Birthday today, and everyone else a VERY Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and here’s my prediction for 2013: it is going to be the best year EVER because I said so. And finally, thank you thank you thank you for your love and support in reading and commenting on my blog. It is appreciated more than you know.
Big love and kisses

Yours, without the bollocks
Andrea

PS: Saskia, my fellow Zen-seeker, thank you again darling!

Comments

Popular Posts