Coconut Oil and Magnesium Oil

A little while ago, I wrote a blog about synthetic oestrogen and hormones in beauty products. I was specifically concerned about the impact on my state of mind due to the daily slathering of my entire body with these concoctions. It’s hard to find conclusive evidence about impact, but I decided to take no chances and went on the hunt for natural alternatives. As anyone who has done this knows, it’s enormously challenging, because you need a bloody PHD in Physics to understand all of the code names for chemicals on bottles. Additionally, you need to remember your glasses so you can actually read those labels grrrrrr.


So I looked and read and pondered and tried stuff and looked and read and pondered, and the only conclusion I could come to was Coconut Oil. When I first started using it, it was a bit weird. I smelt like a Pina Colada first thing in the morning – a little weird! Initially I only used it on my feet, but then decided to use it everywhere, and I reckon it’s a very good alternative to the chemical infused products I was entertaining before. It frustrates me that we just don’t know what this stuff is doing, and the beauty industry takes no responsibility.

Coconut oil certainly reads like a miracle oil when you look into it. It’s great for your hair and skin, helps maintain cholesterol levels, and it helps with weight loss. It’s great for immunity, digestion, metabolism, and some claim it supports all sorts of other serious stuff, including kidney and liver problems, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and cancer. It’s good for stress and bone strength, and many even suggest it’s reversing Alzheimer’s symptoms. Why? Because it contains lauric, capric and caprylic acid.

I don’t know about all of that, I just use it on my skin, as well as in a little bit of cooking, but potentially it’s worth more research so I can maximize its benefits. Thankfully, there’s 1,000s of resources on coconut oil, with a few links here, here, here, here, and here. With that said, not everyone supports it and some disagree with the claims made. You can check some alternative views here and here to make your own mind up.

Another thing that worries me about coconut oil is environmental impact, as well as the impact on local communities where it is abundant. For example, while we’re all enjoying the benefits of Quinoa, the Andeans who have been growing it for more than 7,000 years are not able to afford the staple and it’s having a significant impact in this region. Regarding coconut oil, I found this discussion and this article on sustainability. We all need to make decisions about where we source our products and accept responsibility for the impact right? So far, coconut oil doesn’t look hideous from that point of view.

Another thing I recently did was start using Magnesium Oil. I read about it here when someone shared it on Facebook and thought, good for sleep and stress – let me give that baby a go. I took ages hunting around Singapore for magnesium flakes and do you think I could find it? THEN I discovered a big bag of magnesium flakes, sitting by my bathtub, unused for years DOH! I still have no idea where to buy it in Singapore.

This link has the recipe for making your own and it’s really simple. You boil it with distilled water, dissolve the flakes, cool it down, put it in a spray bottle, and every morning after your shower (and before your coconut oil) give yourself a spray all over and you’re done. Don’t use it at night though, it makes your skin itch! Oh and it certainly does give you a zing when you spray it on.

More information is here, here, here and here. I couldn’t find any negatives, only to avoid synthetically produced magnesium.

Anyhoo, apparently most of us are deficient in magnesium, a mineral we need for all sorts of stuff – including healthy teeth. But the main reason I thought it looked good was for improved sleep -I’ll have some of that. However, if you’re one of those lucky people that can get in the ocean every day, you’re probably not depleted, so no need to do this. Also, if you’re able to eat vegetables and fruit from magnesium-rich soil, you won’t need it either – but apparently that is not so common anymore….

There you go, another part of my daily rituals and thought it worth a share, as others may be concerned about the crap available in the shops today.

Yours, without the bollocks

Andrea

Comments

Popular Posts