Shit Food Shits Me

I can’t eat McDonalds, KFC or Burger King – it makes my skin itch and about an hour after eating it, I start feeling depressed. Pre-packaged sauces and spices make me jittery, soy sauce and all its derivatives make my legs irritated and MSG makes my heart race, gives me a headache and usually sees me rushing to the toilet. OK I get it, additives and preservatives and I are not friends, and they’re not friends with my boys either. Actually Steve has a rough time on them too but until he met me, he didn’t notice.

So to give us the best chance of living a happy and balanced life, we eat as pure as we can because we have to. Essentially we’ve come to the point where there’s no option if we want to sleep at night and if we want to have emotional balance in our lives. As far as I’m concerned, the shit in the food chain screws with your emotions if you pay attention.

Anyways, in the last month or so, I’ve had three occasions where I said screw it – let’s just eat whatever tonight. One night Steve convinced me we should order Canadian 2 for 1 pizza because it was just one of those nights and every delivery option was quoting one and a half hours.... Another night we had homemade tortillas BUT the bad thing about the meal was in the wraps – they had preservative 282 in them – something else I can’t cope with. And then just this Sunday we had gourmet pizza because we hadn’t had a pizza night for quite some time.

The gourmet pizza night has meant that I haven’t been able to sleep for two nights now. I am hot, uncomfortable and the only thing I can attribute this reaction to is the pizza – maybe the tomatoe sauce base? I’m bummed about that, because it wasn’t even the crappy cheap pizza that I usually do anything to avoid. However, this isn’t just about me - for two days now, the boys have been absolute emotional TURDS and that is the main reason I want shit food out of our house.

This is not scientific research but I would be very interested in your perspective? Do foods screw with your emotions to the point it can make you fearful, anxious and feel out of control? Does our current food chain crisis impact people in this way, and if it does, that’s some serious shit playing around with our human potential don’t you think?

You see, as a result of the other two nights – the one with 282 in the meal and the other Canadian 2 for 1 – I had trouble sleeping, but all of my pre-sleep thoughts were about horrible fearful situations – you know, the type where you’re falling, or the boys are being hurt, or Steve dies, I’m in a horrendous car crash, or something else as bloody horrible.... We all have our fearful days, we all have our anxious days, and while there are some people who never confront this shit, I think most of us do at some point in our lives. But this stuff was vivid and powerful and totally out of synch with how I’m feeling about life right now.

So it made me think - is it the preservatives and additives in our food that cause this reaction? And if it is, what does it mean for all of us being subjected to this crap everyday?

I would love to hear what people think on the issue, and in the meantime, I’m just going to keep things as pure as pure as can be. I need the sleep.

Yours, without the bollocks
Andrea

Comments

A Slave Journal said…
Andrea, this is sooooo true. Shit food, and also other environmental impacts, can have an impact on our emotional and physical wellbeing. This is something I have learned much more deeply how it all interacts with each other since studying kinesiology. There are 3 sides of the "triangle of good health". These are:
1. physical/structural
2. emotional/mental
3. nutritional/biochemical

The fourth side is spiritual, but most people ignore this side (it's "invisible")

What you will find is that an impact in just one of these 3 (4) sides of the pyramid, will impact oall the others.

I could go on about it, but I don't want to answer with an essay. Simply a "yes, it all has an impact"

I am not surprised at the increase in so-called behavioural based allergic reaction in our kids these days. Our environment and food chains have essentially become hostile to their little bodies, and they can't cope. We are also seeing a rise in preventable diseases in our western society that have a definite emotional and physical impact, due to our diets and exposure to chemicals/cigarettes/toxicity in our environment.

We are all on a slippery slope, and the sooner we get back to basics in our diets, the better we are all going to be as a society!
Michelle said…
On a side note, have you seen "Food, Inc."? You must. It's amazing what we are putting into our bodies. I can't tell you how many of my daughter's 4th grade friends have started their menstrual cycles and look like women. At age 10...it's the increading amount of hormones we're eating - it's such a chain reaction because these 10 year olds are still babies. Breaks my heart. We need to clean up our diets and we need to the government help make HEALTHY food available to all. Watch Food Inc and you'll see th struggles of people trying to feed their family but the cheapest options are food food joints. An orange and an apple costs more than a meal to feed her two children!
Cory said…
Andrea, faded this to a friend in the US who.s a homeopathic and she suggested reading http://bit.ly/6klH8h and http://bit.ly/blSDhm. I'm also considering gluten from my son's diet. He has a chronic cough and is aggressive. What else do I have to lose?
Hey gals, thanks for the comments and Michelle, I think it's shocking to hear that an orange and an apple costs more than a shit meal!!! Tash I am so with you on the four aspects - I'm trying to focus on all of them, and Cory, I don't know about gluten for me, but making sure there's no 282 is definitely a start. It depends on the role of bread in your life, and as a Singaporean, you probably don't rely on it like I do, but if I needed to, I'd take it out. Read Sue Dengates "Fed Up" - it will take you through all of this stuff - especially if agression is an issue in your little lad xxxxxxx
I am very late in coming into this conversation so perhaps you've figured out the culprit to your discomforts. It sounds like you might want to check out wheat intolerances/allergies. It sort of sucks at first to go wheat free but feeling healthy is so worth the effort of cutting it out of your diet.
Hi Heather, thanks for commenting. I have actually been intending to do two weeks wheat free and then two dairy free to see what a difference it makes. Just need to get organised xxxxx

Popular Posts